Royal Colombo Golf Club
Near by Royal Colombo Golf Club
Images of Royal Colombo Golf Club
About Royal Colombo Golf Club
lthough Sri Lanka is known for its love for cricket there are other games that also take a space in their hearts such as golf. There three golf course in this island namely the Victoria Golf & Country Resort which is supposed to be a stunningly beautiful course is tucked away in the central highlands near Kandy, the Royal Colombo Golf Club and the Nuwara Eliya Golf Club which date back to the Colonial period.
The Royal Colombo Golf Club was initially formed at Galle Face green in 1896 was moved to a model farm which was originally owned by Sir Charles Henry de Soysa, a Ceylonese philanthropist. In 1928 the privilege of using the prefix “Royal” was bestowed upon the Club by His Majesty King George V. The club at model farm was opened by Governor Joseph West Ridgeway, after whom the Ridgeway Links were named.
What can you see?
- You can breathe in a breath of fresh air within the club which is adorned by acres and acres of greenery. It's said that the club house provides an 'airy and relaxing atmosphere'. This environment is created by the many facilities that help visitors and members unwind after an intense game of golf.
- You can take glimpse at the history of the golf club in the reception area where the wall is filled with information and pictures of the history of the club.
- There is a Pro Shop where you will be able to hire tools needed for golf such as clubs, carts and so on.
- You can wind down with a glass of your favourite drink at the Guv’nors Bar which has a large stock of local and imported liquor.
- The colonial style Veranda surrounds the club house and is considered to be one of the highlights of the club.
- For the ones that just want a cup of coffee and a good view of the grounds make your way to the coffee shop which is supposed to be the preferred place for watching a round of golf
You will be able to find detailed information regarding fees on their website, www.rcgcsl.com
- Call to reserve a tee time
- Caddies are compulsory
- Dress code: Men must wear collars and decent shorts or trousers and women must be dressed modestly.
Physical layout of the club:
Holes: 18 holes
Length: 6560 Yards Black Tees| 6303 Yards White Tees | 5186 Yards Ladies Tees
Fairways: Buffalo Grass (Crab Grass)
Practice Facilities: 20 Bay Covered Driving Range