Henarathgoda Botanical Gardens
Near by Henarathgoda Botanical Gardens
Images of Henarathgoda Botanical Gardens
About Henarathgoda Botanical Gardens
Situated approximately 5km away from Gampaha you will find an undiscovered landmark by the name of Henarathgoda Botanical Gardens. Spreading it's beauty across 43 acres the botanical garden lies close to the Attangalle oya and the Attangalla garden. In addition the Ruhunu National park and the famous Wilpattu national park are also situated close by towards the south west of the garden.
It's said that the gardens boast of a history that spans over 128 years. So what you will find in the Henarathgoda Botanical Gardens is another example of the rich and diverse population of flora and fauna that belongs to Sri Lanka.
Highlights of the garden:
- The seedlings of a rubber tree from Brazil were planted in this garden in 1876 AD and is supposed to be the first Brazilian rubber tree planted in Asia. Sources claim that the planting of this tree is what kick started the rubber industry in Southeast Asia.
- While enjoying a walk within the refreshing confines of the garden make sure to feast your eyes on the colourful flowers that add to the vibrant atmosphere of the garden.
- Try and spot a few species that are considered valuable such as the such as satinwood, ebony, ironwood, and mahogany.
- The garden is also said to be sprinkled with a few varieties of imported trees from different countries.
- It's supposed to be home to a wide range of birds counting over 80 varieties.
- Many travellers recommend a visit to the garden during the monsoon season when it's actual beauty is on display to the world.